Tuesday 6 August 2013

Dementia rates in the UK falling????

I was on holiday when this story broke.  If you google it you'll find it's reported in several places.

I haven't seen any comments on it  -  very odd, as we have been bombarded for several years with the opposite message.

I'd be interested in any views. I notice that it seems to concern dementias in the elderly exclusively. Some people believe there has been a dramatic increase in the incidence of young onset dementias, though I have not seen firm evidence on this.

2 comments:

  1. this is purely speculative but since they have been trying to drive up earlier diagnosis maybe the fact that more people now are diagnosed does not represent their previously predicted numbers which reflected such a huge proportion of undiagnosed people with dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not find figures for dementia from 'years ago' but reading some of the articles I think the figures are 'lower than projected' rather that 'rates falling' BIG DIFFERENCE!

    ReplyDelete